An IP address is most important for setting up a network or sharing files. Here are the few ways to find your IP address in the Mac OS X. These following methods will be the same whether you are connected via wireless or ethernet. These ways will work in all versions of OS X on all Macs.
What is an IP address?
IP address is your computers online location. The networking hardware needs to know this address in order to connect you to the internet. Using IP address you can be easily tracked and identify your online activities.
How to find the IP Address?
You an find any of the your Macs IP address from the Mac System Preferences Network Configuration scree:
- From your Apple device Pull down the “System Preferences”
- On the preference pane, click on the “Network”.
- You can see your IP address,
atthe right side of your screen.
We will cover the more technical technical approaches for getting your IP address of your Mac OS X command line:
Finding IP Address via Mac OS X Terminal:
This is the quickest way to find your Mac IP address for those who are more in technical.
- Open the Terminal located in the /Application/Utilities/
- Type the following command in the terminal:
ifconfig| grep inet
- You can see like this:
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
inet6 fe80::fa1e:dfff:feea:d544%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
inet 192.168.0.100 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
- The IP address is usually next to the last entry of “inet”. The IP address is always in the format of x.x.x.x. It will never be 127.0.0.1 this gurantees that your IP address will be the orther IP between “inet” and “netmask”.
Finding External Public IP address
Open your router’s configuration page and follow the steps given below:
- Open the web interface by entering into your router’s IP address into a web browser.
- Check at your router’s documentation for the specific address and the most common router address are:
Open your router status.
IP address will vary from router to router. Mostly it will be listed in the router status or in your Wide Area Network Status.
- You can see the Router Status under the Internet Port, your IP address will be listed.
- An IP address is a 4 set of digits, with 3digits per set.
- The IP address is assigned to you by your internet service provider and most of the IP addresses are dynamic. They change from time to time.
The above-mentioned steps are used find your IP address on your Mac. If you have any better easy steps to find the IP address of Mac, you are free to share it in the comment section. You are free to ask queries regarding this article, we will help you to clear it out.